To improve Time Warner cable Internet network stability
I had no choice but to user Time Warner Internet in the old apartment. After some other initial troubles, finally I got the expected speed for the ‘extreme’ plan which is 30Mbps/5Mbps for download/upload. The slow speed is acceptable, but it had another annoying problem. The connection was intermittently closed.
Yesterday, I finally found that the problem was in NAT feature on the cable modem UBee. I disabled it and changed it to ‘bridge’ mode which resolved the problem. But the problem is, the modem is locked by Time Warner.
Here is how to get around it.
- Factory reset to enable a regular user ‘user’
- Logon to the modem at a hidden URL http://192.168.0.1/TlModeChange.asp as user/password = user/user. The ‘user’ user is a non admin user, but once you get the URL and go, you can update the modem. The last 8digit of MAC -> Username, c0nf1gur3m3 -> Password didn’t work for me.
- Change it from NAT to Bridge mode
- Disable unstable Wifi if you want
- Reboot the cable modem
- The management URL will be changed to http://192.168.100.1/TlModeChange.asp in the Bridge mode